Spiritual Awareness: It's about Dharma, Baby! Who Inspires You? Part 1.



“The purpose of life is to contribute in some way to making things better.”
― Robert F. Kennedy

Dharma” is a Sanskrit word meaning “purpose.” We each come to feel at some point in our lives that there is something important for us to do, or learn, or experience. As we grow in awareness, we seek to know our dharma, to fulfill our purpose, to somehow have our lives make sense in the context of everything that is going on in the world.

One of the ways I was directed to find my dharma or purpose, was to look at the people who I found inspiring. These are people outside of my family and friends, who are on the world stage, usually doing something that affects my heart and mind. Below is a short list of people who first came to mind when I was approached to do this exercise.


Princess Diana.


I was thirteen years old living in Jamaica when I woke up at 3 am to watch the royal wedding. I was fascinated with this young woman who appeared to be living out the fairytale many girls dream of. However over the course of her life, we all know the fairytale fell apart. We watched her weather many storms. In the end emerged this kind soul who turned her life around by focusing on helping and supporting those in need. Her evolution was amazing to watch. She had my heart from the beginning. Her death shook my soul and I still cry and I am now as I write this. She has inspired in me a desire to be kind to those who cross my path.

Oprah Winfrey. 

From the very beginning I was fascinated by this woman who took the talk show circuit by storm. Vivacious, smart and fearless she set a standard by not avoiding interviewing a huge cross-section of people. But it was the show where she introduced this interesting man, named Gary Zukav where she opened my mind to a new way of thinking. It was revolutionary at the time to talk about spirituality minus religion openly. Back then, even though I was in a controlled religious way of thinking, something about guests like Zukav struck a deep cord within me. Over the years I have watched Oprah’s spiritual awakening evolve. She inspires me to keep learning about my spiritual experience and to trust and stay tapped into The Source.




Madonna/Beyoncé.

Say what you want about Madonna, she is a trailblazer. She pushed the entertainment envelope back in my teenage days and kept us in shock but talking and thinking. She is like Beyoncé in that she works hard at her craft. While the Beygency can be scary at times, one thing I will say about Beyoncé is that her drive and work ethic is relentless and extremely focused. Both of these women inspire me to keep my nose to the grind, stay focused and put in the work that is required for success.


Dr. Maya Angelou.

I had read some of Maya’s books and found them riveting. I recall an interview with Oprah a long time ago where I was glued to her every word and her wisdom, essence, elegance and strength pulled me in. But the thing that inspires me the most about her is that Maya was self-made. She did not attend college, but spent her life applying herself to living, learning and pulling from an infinite source of wisdom.  A week before her death I had a dream that I was at a party and she walked by me. I opened my mouth to say something but the words would not come out. She stopped and looked at me and said: “Speak, child” Those words resonate in my ears constantly. She inspires me to keep writing and speaking. I know that if I continue to apply myself wholeheartedly to learning despite not having a college degree, anything is possible.


As you see I am mostly drawn to strong feminine types. My mother of course is my first true inspiration of strength and faith, but there are also a few men on my list I will share in a future post.

So who inspires you and why? Make a list and look at the people on it and ask yourself if you could do anything in life, find your purpose for being here, how do these people affect the way you think and feel? The way they inspire is a clue to finding your purpose in life! 

Happy discovering!

Live the Life!

Vivadivine!

Popular posts from this blog

Awareness! Spiritual Meltdowns Are Beautiful!

Enlightenment: The State of Inner Peace

Awareness: Hello Lovers!