The Spiritual Awakening Of A Social Butterfly.


“Once the soul awakens, the search begins and you can never go back. From then on, you are inflamed with a special longing that will never again let you linger in the lowlands of complacency and partial fulfillment. The eternal makes you urgent. You are loath to let compromise or the threat of danger hold you back from striving toward the summit of fulfillment.”
― John O'Donohue

This is a two part post. I will share with you the details of how I ended up here. This is the story of a life asleep and then awakened, and a purpose discovered.


It was a beautiful winter afternoon in February 2010 that I decided to venture out to visit a local area mall, to do some shopping. I parked my car in a parking garage across from the mall and proceeded to walk across the street, and as most people did at the time I was not using the crosswalk at the nearby intersection. I was your typical jay-walker.

I looked both ways up and down the street and my path was clear. As I was mid-way across the street I happened to look to my left and noticed a white SUV coming in my direction at a high rate of speed. I thought to myself, if I quickened my pace I would be able to make clear of the vehicle, as I realized the driver did not see me. As the car approached I was convinced that I would not be hit, but suddenly I was clipped by the left bumper. I tried to steady myself, but I fell into the street, ending up on my back, looking at the bluest sky I had ever seen.   

All was silent. I was in shock. And then I heard the screams of people, tires squealing from cars suddenly stopping. I turned my head to the right and I saw the patrons on the patio at a nearby restaurant jumping over the railings coming to my rescue. To my left appeared the driver of the SUV, a woman, distraught, tears streaming down her face and in shock that she actually hit me with her vehicle. I looked up at her and felt a strong need to comfort her and told her, I was okay. I was surrounded by people, faces full of concern.

It was the most surreal moment of my life. I lay there in the moment questioning myself: how in the world did this happen to me? Did I really get hit by a car? Why do crazy things always seem to happen to me?

My rescuers asked me if I was okay and I said yes and said that I wanted to get out of the street. This was too much attention for me and I just wanted to get in a safe place. So they gently picked me up and guided me to the restaurant and had me sit in a secluded area to await the paramedics. When they arrived, we had a comical exchange about them putting me on the trauma board. I refused! Just take me to the hospital and do not turn on the darn siren, please, I asked.

At the hospital the doctors could not find the location of the impact; however I seemed to be fine and eventually released me.

I went home that evening in a fog. As I was laying there on the sofa, I replayed the whole scene in my mind, trying to understand one thing: How was it that in my mind I knew that I was going to clear that lady’s car, but still got hit anyway? It seemed like I was supposed to be hit, as if the bumper had extended itself and touched me just enough so that life would stop and make me take notice.

What I did not know was that, this accident, this one surreal, but survivable moment was the saving grace of my life. After that accident, my life has not been the same.

To be continued…

Vivadivine!      


Popular posts from this blog

Enlightenment: The State of Inner Peace

Awareness! Spiritual Meltdowns Are Beautiful!

Awareness: Hello Lovers!