Spiritual Awareness: The Funny Empath


“Highly sensitive people are too often perceived as weaklings or damaged goods. To feel intensely is not a symptom of weakness, it is the trademark of the truly alive and compassionate. It is not the empath who is broken, it is society that has become dysfunctional and emotionally disabled. There is no shame in expressing your authentic feelings. Those who are at times described as being a 'hot mess' or having 'too many issues' are the very fabric of what keeps the dream alive for a more caring, humane world. Never be ashamed to let your tears shine a light in this world.”
― Anthon St. Maarten


I write this post about being an empath in a somewhat tongue-in-cheek manner. At times I do have to laugh at myself because of the experiences I have had over the years.

It took me a while to accept the term, mainly because I do not like to label myself. But it’s the only way I can properly describe something I have been dealing with from childhood. In the simplest terms an empath is a highly sensitive person, who is able to physically feel the emotions of others. I recall as a child thinking I was weird because I could feel the emotion behind people’s actions. I can feel anger, sadness, and happiness, depression and much more in other people, at close range and at distances. It’s basically an energetic experience. 


Many people are actually empathic and are completely unaware. That’s where that phrase, “I can feel you” comes from when we find ourselves relating to others. But with the empath, you will feel things quite magnified. I have written about some of my experiences before.

Recently, I realized it’s actually getting more acute. I guess the lighter my spirit gets the more porous I am. I am still learning how to shield myself and raise my vibration when I get within energetic range of people who start to drain me.

Now I am sharing this so you can actually enjoy watching me navigate a crowded room, say for instance at a party. It never fails, I always attract the extremes; like the awesome person with great vibes who I can’t stay away from all night. The other end of the spectrum is the person who is so off energetically that I literally start to feel ill. With the latter it usually starts with a conversation where the person is totally into me.

Suddenly, I will start to feel overwhelmed in their presence. I start this dance where I start looking around for a place to brace myself. Why? Because I realize I am on the verge of fainting. If I can’t find a spot then I start doing this dance where I am trying to navigate away from the person. I start shifting out of their space.

Now these people have no clue what is happening to me. I will try and find a space where there is something between myself and the person so I can shield and block some of this energy. If I cannot eventually I will just find a way to get out of range completely. Then if you’ve been observing me, you just might see me sitting by myself, because I am trying to get centered.

From a distance it looks really funny if you know me well enough. But in truth it’s a scary feeling. Who wants to fall out in public and end up on the floor hair all over the place and dress eschew? Of course I am vain! I don’t want to embarrass myself, because someone’s vibes are making me feel nutty. How in the world would you explain that to your host?


Don’t even get me started with going to the mall. I will only go to anchor stores to do shopping if I go to an area mall. I refuse to go all the way inside and if I do it’s a mad focused dash, in and out very quickly. Friends always laugh at me when I tell them I have not been to the Galleria a popular mall in my city, in 6 years. It’s just too overwhelming and no amount of shopping high can convince me to go. I have become the Queen of Online Shopping for this very reason. I am not saying that I will never go to a place like that ever again, but if I have a choice I will pass.

I also get emotionally and energetically involved in visual media. I had a meltdown watching Amistad years ago, and for that very reason I did not see Twelve Years A Slave at the theater. Who wants to sit next to me in the dark and listen to uncontrollable crying? I won’t embarrass anyone with that madness.

And my favorite story to tell is the Cyndi Lauper concert that sent me running out of the House of Blues. I started off standing in front of the stage, to gradually moving to the back of the room, to under an air vent and eventually running outside because I could not breathe. Now I have been to this venue numerous times for other events and never experienced that before. So I know I was absorbing a lot of off the charts energy.

The other end of the spectrum is just as funny.  I went out to a popular gay bar once, danced all night, fell in love with everybody and was high for days. These are the extremes I deal with. The good thing is there can be happy medium to all this.

If you are an empath and not know it maybe this may all sound familiar to you. You can view the traits of this personality to see if you fit the criteria. Take heart because there are ways to manage taking on other people’s energy and not everyone’s energy will throw you off. You will just become acutely aware of it and how to deal with it properly.

The best part about being an empath is that you can really help people with this gift because you can easily identify what is happening to a person. People won’t be able to lie to you, unless they are a diagnosed sociopath and trust me that can be pretty bizarre.

I am curious to see how sensitive some of you are. If you have any stories feel free to share. We are all in this feely-feely moment together.

Live the Divine Life.

Vivadivine. 

Popular posts from this blog

Enlightenment: The State of Inner Peace

Awareness! Spiritual Meltdowns Are Beautiful!

Awareness: Hello Lovers!